Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010


Before I continue, (or rather, start) let me point out that the cheery ideas of hiking (in my last post) were indeed fulfilled... Later that day, I went up into federation forest with Julie Love. Absolutely stunning scenery. I love how close it is to home! But of course, as soon as I pulled out my camera, the three words flashing at me nearly made me cry... "No Memory Card."  Yeah. Of all the "disgustipating" things. Next time, I will not be found so ill-prepared.

Anyway, yesterday found mom, papa, and I in Leavenworth. (the bavarian-esque village, not the barbarian-esque prison) I have to admit that the scenery on the way there was the highlight. While the actual town was cute and nice, it didn't do much for me. But that's not to say that I wouldn't LOVE to go back. :-)  One of my favorite shops was obviously Chocolat.... But of course, since it was in the back of another store, we had to get through a salesman (whose wares were ridiculously overpriced, by the way) who kept telling us the translations to german words that we didn't really need to know. Gesthaus means hotel? What? NO WAY! Epiphany! Oh wait. Already knew that. Wunderbar means marvellous? Wow. This is just the highlight of my education. But it was worth it to get to the chocolate shop. The man behind the counter was perfect for the role. Snow white hair, sweater vest, tie, and... English accent. Yes. I felt like I was back in the Chelsea tea shop in Oxford. And of course I'm a fan of any man who tries to sell chocolate by giving whole truffles to people. "Oh, I see by your starbucks that you like coffee. Perhaps you would like to try this mocha java truffle?"  Why, yes, I'd love to!

But, chocolate and leavenworth aside, I have finally got a plan for tonight. After finishing all the things I have to do, I'm going to sit down and watch El Dorado. I've been wanting to for about a week. Now there's a classic John Wayne. Any movie that has John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, and James Caan has GOT to be amazing. At least I think so. But I'm slightly biased-- we've been watching that movie for years. My first memories of it include my dad covering my eyes when Alan Traherne (a.k.a. Mississippi)  makes his entrance by knifing a man, as well as getting my eyes covered when Thornton kisses Maudie. Yes indeed.  Although personally, I've always been of the persuasion that Charlene Holt (Maudie) only got a part in it because she was in some way related to The Duke. A niece, perhaps? Her acting is definitely the low-point of the movie.  However, she DID make it into an episode of Perry Mason, so there must be some ability there.
Actually, there are some fantastic quotes in that movie as well. The one I hear most often (and heard just the other day from papa) is "Can I ask you something?  Why do you wear your hair like a wild mustang that needs a curry comb and a brush?"  (Can I help it that my hair is a bit out of control after I take it down?)
As it turns out, the movie is based on a poem by Poe, which James Caan quotes in the movie. Yes, several members of our family have it memorized. That's what happens when you watch a movie a million times.


Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.
 
And, as his strength 
Failed him at length, 
He met a pilgrim shadow;
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"
"Over the mountains
 Of the moon,
 Down the valley of the shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,--
"In search of Eldorado!"

2 comments:

Rachel said...

oh...I always thought it was "Ride, Bodie, ride" Like a name. So sad.

Emilie R. Edwards said...

Well, that's ok.... I always thought it was "Ride, Bully ride." Pretty sure papa thought that for a long time too.
lol.
"Always liked that poem. Kinda makes me wanna-"
"-Ride boldly ride?"
That's the first time I realized it. I like Ride bully ride better.