Pages

Thursday, January 07, 2010

It's three in the morning... You really think that I could come up with a good title at this hour?

I have nothing else creative left in me. It is 3:10 a.m, and I should be sleeping. When I get tired, I become over-contemplative. Also, words like "emotional" and "insecure" and "moody" come to mind... Basically, when I'm lacking in sleep, mood swings are sure to follow.
I've been thinking through so many things recently, that I'm not even sure what to blog about. Of course, that's never stopped me before, so I'll give it my best shot. I have enjoyed blissful absolute silence for the last three hours, and hopefully will be able to actually sleep when I'm done here.
Anyone who talks to me moderately often already knows this, but for those of you who don't.... Recently, my uncle edited a puritan devotional, called "Voices From The Past."  As it just so happens, it's out of stock everywhere. Also, it recently made the CVBBS current bestsellers list... But those are extraneous facts that aren't pertinent to what i'm saying. (I just am tickled pink about the whole bestsellers thing, so what better place to say it than on my blog?) And now for the semi-pertinent facts... I got the book for Christmas, and have been reading out of it. A few days ago, I read something that was actually just what I needed at the time. Apparently, it's still exactly what I need... Why else would it come to mind at this time of night?

So, here are a few parts of it.

      But seek ye first the kingdom of God,
and his righteousness,
 and all these things will be added unto you.
Matthew 6:33

Until we get our hearts out of the world, how easily our hearts are carried away with the thoughts of earthly concerns. Until we can separate and purge our spirits, how we mingle our prayers with many ridiculous thoughts.....we should always labour to get our hearts above the world into the presence of God, as if we were by Him in heaven, and wholly swallowed up with His glory. Though our bodies are on earth, our spirits should be in heaven. Until we get above the mists of the world, we can see nothing of clearness and comfort; but when we can get God and our hearts together, then we can see there is much in the fountain, though nothing in the stream; and though little on earth, yet we have a God in heaven. This is our great aim, to be with God in heaven. His residence is there, and we seek that our hearts might be there. We have liberty to ask supplies for the outward life, but chiefly we should ask spiritual and heavenly things. .... it is far more pleasing to Him when we ask for grace. In every prayer we should seek to be made more heavenly minded by conversing with our heavenly Father.
---Thomas Manton, Works, I:60-62
Ed: Richard Rushing
uber-edited by me.

Well, there you have it. My thought, or rather Manton's thought, for the evening. Now, I'm hoping to go to sleep. With any luck, no one will feel the need to wake me up before noon.

2 comments:

emily said...

Emilie! I didn't know you had a blog. This is Emily Watts, is it okay if I put you on my friends list on my blog? Actually I already did, but if you'd rather not be on there I can take you off. :-)

This is an amazing expert, btw. Very good reminder.

Emilie R. Edwards said...

Hi! :) And that's totally fine. I'll have to start reading your blog!