Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Burroughs on contentment. (briefly)

This blog used to be better. There has been no change in authorship, there has been very little new content, and the aesthetics haven’t changed in quite a while, but it used to be significantly more appealing. Why? Because of the music. Currently there is...none. Mixpod cut out on me, and pulled the FABULOUS playlist I had on the side of the blog for quite a while. I’m heartbroken. (Insert a depressed face here.)
Because of that, I was unable to add in a few songs... namely, from the soundtrack to the newer version of Sense and Sensibility. (Insert a blissful happy face here, because of the thought of that movie)
That being the case, your job during this post is to imagine that there is beautiful orchestral music playing gently in the background, preferably something Austen-esque.
Some people write so well that they don’t need background music. Unfortunately, my writing ONLY sounds good if there is music to, erm, drown it out. Therefore. Imagine music.
The second thing  -- I am currently highly caffeinated. I mean, all I have in my system right now is essentially caffeine and white chocolate. It’s dangerous to blog like this. The crash later is going to be brutal. But oh-so-worth-it.
I think I promised something edifying, so let’s just see here.
Before I go excerpting-to-the-skies, I am throwing this out--
I’ve started a new journal. Initially I wasn’t sure what I was going to use it for, but I know now. It’s going to be a record of what the Lord has done. I can’t remember exactly when I was thinking about it, but I was reflecting on the fact that the problems for Israel always began when they forgot God. Israel forgot God, and strayed. Israel ceased to tell their children of the mighty works of the Lord, and they became idolaters. The Psalms talk about reflecting on God’s works, and in Job it speaks about going and telling what the Lord has done for you. It just seems to me there is a huge connection between following the Lord and remembering and being grateful for what He has done. I think my goal with my journal is to help me maintain an attitude of thankfulness before my Lord, no matter where my life goes. There is also a tie between focusing on being grateful, and contentment. I am also doing this in an effort to combat my natural pessimistic tendencies. Due to aforesaid pessimism, I tend to think-- “Everything is going just too well.” Obviously yes, everyone has problems, as do I. Everyone has heartaches that don’t go away, everyone has daily trials. But overall, I look at the immense beauty of the things the Lord has blessed me with, and think “It can’t possibly last...” I see the years of blessing in our church, in my family, and in my job, and worry that it will all fall apart. Even though I can add no time to my life by worrying, I still have to fight against it. I know that’s not right-- The Lord is always gracious and compassionate, and always does what is right, and gives more than we could think or ask, but my “natural tendency” (which needs to be combated) is to wait for something horrid to happen. I want to know that if the Lord takes away, as He has given, that I will still be happy and content in Him. This is kind of going to be an open-ended blog post, because it’s a flaw of my own that I am trying to work on. (huh, didn’t see me throwing that out there when I started this one. Blame the caffeine.) I know He holds tomorrow safely in His hand-- I just want to glorify Him by being content no matter what tomorrow brings. I think writing down instances of His past goodness will be helpful in that regard. It is healthy to reflect on His works, and leads to even more of a trusting in His sovereignty. It leads also, I think, to a steadier, solid contentment.
I’m going to quote extensively from Jeremiah Burroughs, because I am slowly slowly working through The Rare Jewel Of Christian Contentment. It’s, well, extraordinary. He talks about the frame of a Christian’s mind and soul being where true contentment is found, and how you get to that point, and how it will reflect in your disposition. All I really have to say is: It ‘ain’t easy’. But, his thoughts were very helpful for me. So, here is what Jeremiah Burroughs has to say regarding all of this.
These are just some of the things I have highlighted as I was reading. I can’t say there is a particularly good flow to them, but hopefully his thoughts will be helpful to you. If they’re not, well, you should really buy the book and read them all in the exact context. :-)

“ Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God’s wise and fatherly disposal in every condition... ‘This is the hand of God, and what is suitable to my condition or best for me. Although I do not see the reason for the thing, yet I am satisfied in my judgment about it’...  The contentment of a man or woman who is rightly content does not come so much from outward arguments or from any outward help, as from the disposition of their own hearts. The disposition of their own hearts causes and brings forth this gracious contentment rather than any external thing. Let me explain myself. Someone is disturbed, suppose it be a man, woman, or child. If you come and bring some great thing to please them, perhaps it will quiet them and they will be contented. It is the thing you bring that quiets them, not the disposition of their own spirits, not any good temper in their own hearts, but the external thing you bring them. But when a Christian is content in the right way, the quiet comes more from the temper and position of his own heart than from any external argument or from the possession of anything in the world. ... Keep under the authority of God, the majesty of God, the sovereignty of God, the power that God has over you-- to keep under, that is to submit. The soul can submit to God at the time when it can send itself under the power and authority and sovereignty and dominion that God has over it... A contented heart looks to God’s disposal, and submits to God’s disposal, that is, he sees the wisdom of God in everything. In his submission, he sees His sovereignty, but what makes him take pleasure is God’s wisdom. The Lord knows how to order things better than I. The Lord sees further than I do; I only see things at present but the Lord sees a great while from now. And how do I know but that had it not been for this affliction, I should have been undone. I know that the love of God may as well stand with an afflicted condition as with a prosperous condition. .. Contentment is the inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, freely submitting to and taking pleasure in God’s disposal in every condition.”
-- jeremiah burroughs.

Have a nice day. 

5 comments:

Meghann Claire said...

I always enjoy reading your blog, and today you have given me encouragement to focus on contentment regardless of situation. I've been inwardly grumbling about things lately but I have no reason to, and my blessings far outweigh my trials!

And secondly, there is a soundtrack too the new Sense and Sensibility movie? I must find it, I thought there wasn't one but the music is so good!

Emilie Edwards said...

Meghann! I am so glad you were encouraged with the post. I always second guess everything I post, so I am happy someone benefited. :-)
YES! Well, no. Rachel and I both bought an album called "The music of jane austen" or something, and it has a bunch of song selections from all of the jane austen movies! Definitely worth the three dollars or whatever on Itunes. It has I believe two songs from the newest sense and sensibility.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments on the connection between contentment and gratefulness. You also made me real tempted to read Burroughs, and more books is always a good thing. By the way if you get bored you should check out my blog at http://christianinhisnaturalhabitat.blogspot.com/

Christian

Rev said...

One of the things that has always kept me from blogging is the level of difficulty in setting up the background music. It always adds an extra layer of complexity, too, because my temptation would be to either tailor the blog post to the music or the music to the blog post. Complicated....
If you have any technical expertise in this area, I'd appreciate it!
There's also the thought that my musical selections will pretty much drive everyone away from my blog right upon arrival :( Lol.
That journal idea is really great! Have you made any entries so far?
I think christian contentment can "mostly" be defined in 4 famous words - "Thy will be done". Contentment is submission to those words. It's acceptance of whatever comes our way.
1 Tim 6:6-8 "But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content."
These words are the preamble to the famous "Money is the root of all sorts of evils" verse, and its more famous somewhat altered saying. (No, I do not know if they are really the same, I don't know Greek ;P )
Paul is about to lead into a long-ish section on fighting the good fight, contending for the faith, and instructions for handling wealth. How can one fight the good fight of faith if he is fretting about what he has or doesn't have? So before heading into that he reminds Timothy to be content in what he has. Not only that, but that what he has is enough.
Great, great post Emilie :)

Uh...you're fooling with captcha again:

There's an unrecognizable image and pirihot

Emilie Edwards said...

Christian! I heard about your blog when I was hanging out with your family a couple weeks back. :-) I will definitely try to keep up on that! When exactly are you wandering over to the Honduras to be with sea turtles?
More importantly, when will you be back in washington so I can have your family over for a game night?

Mr White..... Your thoughts are, as always, excellent. ;-)What I always did was tailor the music to the post. And it worked beautifully for oh-so-long..
You're right about the "Thy will be done" thing. Being naturally wordy, I have to reiterate Burroughs' comments and add that there is a heart submission that has to happen in addition to the outward actions of submission to His will. I love Burroughs' point about "the disposition of your heart". It's more than acceptance of God's will-- it's an embracing of it, a welcoming of his wisdom and disposal in our lives.
A little easier said than done, yah?
Also I feel entirely disillusioned upon finding out that you don't know greek... are you sure we're friends? ;)